The beginning of its existence is assumed to be 1921, when "Reserve" forestry was created in a part of the current area of the Park. In 1932, the forest reserve "Reserve" was transformed into "National Park in Białowieża". In 1947, this unit was restored as the Bialowieza National Park, it still operates under this name. The park covers an area of 10,517.27 ha, which is 1/6 of the Polish part of the Białowieża Forest. Under strict protection there are 5725.75 ha, under active protection 4438.20 ha, landscape protection is carried out on the area of 353.32 ha. A protective zone is created around the park - a buffer zone, which covers developed forests with an area of 3224.26 ha. The entire buffer zone is a game protection zone. Maintaining the proper number and structure of the population of individual species in this zone consists in maintaining natural processes of shaping the number and structure of the population of individual species of game animals by not conducting reduction shots and the elimination of hunting bait and hunting equipment (Regulation of the Minister of the Environment of April 5, 2011 on establishing the zone protective game animals in the buffer zone of the Białowieża National Park; Journal of Laws 2011 No. 85 item 465). The park consists of 3 administrative units: Orłówka Conservation District, Hwoźna Conservation District and the Bison Breeding Center (with three breeding reserves and the Bison Show Reserve). The Bialowieza National Park protects the best-preserved fragment of the Bialowieza Forest - the last natural forest in Europe's lowlands, of a primary nature that stretched centuries ago in the zone of deciduous and mixed forests. It is characterized by high biodiversity. The Park includes 809 species of vascular plants, over 3,000 spore species and fungi, almost 200 species of mosses and 283 lichen species. Over 8,000 were found. invertebrate species, approx. 120 breeding bird species and 52 mammal species. The old, original stands of the Białowieża National Park are distinguished by the abundance of dead wood in various stages of decomposition and the presence of species typical of natural forests. Among the birds we find here: Eurasian Owl, Three-toed and White-backed Woodpecker; from beetles - Urussian seed beetle, oak hermit beetle, Kolweni flour; from butterflies - an aviator profitable, sphagnum splinters. Many of them occur in a few areas outside the Białowieża Forest. The park's symbol is the European bison - the largest land mammal in Europe. The Białowieża Forest turned out to be the last refuge for the lowland bison. The process of its restitution, i.e. restoring it to nature, also began. Currently, the largest bison freedom population in the world lives in the Białowieża Forest. In its Polish part, it has about 450 individuals. The Bialowieza National Park is the only Polish natural object, inscribed by UNESCO on the World Heritage List. It is also the most important - the central zone of the Białowieża Biosphere Reserve. The area of the Park is also of historical and cultural interest. One of the park's facilities is the Palace Park with an area of approx. 50 ha. It was founded at the turn of the 19th and 20th centuries surrounded by the tsarist palace erected in 1889-1894. The park in the English style, also called landscape, was designed by a well-known Polish designer - Walery Kronenberg. It includes, among others the oldest building in Białowieża - a wooden manor house from 1845 and the oldest monument in Białowieża - a sandstone obelisk commemorating the hunt of August III Sas in 1752. The Palace Park is entered in the register of monuments of the Podlasie Province. It is protected as a historic park establishment of national rank. The Palace Park has a complex of historic historical buildings.
Number of ratings: 2
Address: Park Pałacowy 11 , 17-230 Białowieża